The Second Phase of Development
(Length of stay – two weeks before delivery until 8 weeks after delivery)
At six weeks postpartum, new moms are evaluated to determine their options for continuing in the program. Participation in this phase requires the participant to reaffirm her commitment to working through the Motherhood Phase and the recommendations of the Sheltering Grace staff.
Participants receive the following services during the Motherhood phase:
- Parenting workshops and counseling
- Continuing life skills workshops and employment support services
- When employed, participants begin saving toward housing
- New mothers have access to items needed for new baby, such as diapers, clothing, cribs and car seats
- Mother transitions to caring for new infant and locating quality child care.
- Employment is secured and Savings plan process begins.
- Participant begins applying life skills and moving into the role of head of household.